So in-keeping with the Christmas spirit I wanted to share with you a lovely recipe. I made this last year and gave it out as gifts (and of course saved some for us!)
Don't panic - this is pretty quick to make and although like any chutney it gets better the longer you leave it, it actually can be eaten pretty much straight away - so if you fancy some to accompany the post turkey and post Xmas pud cheese board (and if you have any room left!) then this is just the ticket.
Here we are then: All in all this makes about 2kg and only takes a little over an hour to make
3 Bramley apples (or about 650g)
2 large onions
1kg cranberries (fresh if poss but you can buy frozen now too)
15 peppercorns (that sounds very precise!!)
300ml red wine vinegar
500g light brown soft sugar
1 red chilli
- Peel, core and finely dice the apples and put into a big pan
- Peel and roughly chop the clementines then add to the pan
- Peel and finely chop the onions then add to the pan
- Stir in 700g of the cranberries
- Add the peppercorns, vinegar, sugar and chilli
- Cook over a low-medium heat, stirring frequently to warm everything through and dissolve the sugar
- Turn up the heat and simmer uncovered for about 45 minutes until thickened, stirring occasionally
- Stir in all the remaining cranberries and cook for 10 minutes more until they are tender (but not burst)
- Spoon into sterilised jars and leave to cool completely
There you have it - easy peasy lemon squeezy!!
I hope you enjoy this zingy chutney, it also goes well with left over turkey - of which we'll all have a lot I'm sure!!
Until the next time my lovelies. Not long to go now !!!!